British Police Claim They Have A Suspect In The Frame

British Police Claim They Have A Suspect In The Frame

.

Posted by:

Greg Lance-Watkins
Greg_L-W
.

British Police Claim They Have A Suspect In The Frame for the possible killing of Madeleine McCann

UK police in Madeleine McCann case probe new intruder link

LONDON Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47am EDT

Kate and Gerry McCann pose with a computer generated image of how their missing daughter Madeleine might look now, during a news conference in London May 2, 2012. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

Kate and Gerry McCann pose with a computer generated image of how their missing daughter Madeleine might look now, during a news conference in London May 2, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Andrew Winning

(Reuters) – British detectives investigating the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann said they were looking for a man suspected of carrying out a series of sexual assaults on young girls staying in Portuguese holiday villas between 2004 and 2010.

 

McCann, then aged three, went missing from her bedroom at the Praia da Luz holiday resort in the Algarve region while her parents were dining with friends at a nearby restaurant, leading to a global search that gripped the world’s media.

 

London police, who started a review of the case in 2011 and began their own investigation last year, said on Wednesday they were looking for more information about 12 crimes committed in Portuguese holiday resorts.

 

In four cases between 2004 and 2006 a man sexually assaulted five white girls, aged between 7 and 10 years, in their beds, in three different Algarve resorts, police said. Two of the 12 offences were committed in Praia da Luz.

 

“We need to eliminate this man from our enquiries and ascertain whether these offences are linked to Madeleine’s disappearance,” Andy Redwood, senior investigating officer at London’s Metropolitan Police Service, told a news briefing.

 

The man, described as being tanned with short, dark, unkempt hair, spoke English with a foreign accent and would appear early in the morning. In some incidents, he was disturbed and left.

 

“This an offender who has got a very, very unhealthy interest in young, white female children who he’s attacking while they’re on holiday in their beds,” Redwood said.

 

“ALL OPTIONS” OPEN

 

Redwood said the new appeal for information on the man who carried out the attacks was just one of the “priority lines” of inquiry currently being pursued. British police are also in contact with their counterparts in Spain, Belgium, Jersey, Switzerland, Netherlands and Germany over the case.

 

British Prime Minister David Cameron ordered a new investigation by London police after the McCanns wrote to him three years ago saying neither British nor Portuguese authorities had done enough to try to find their daughter.

 

Redwood said McCann might have long been dead.

 

“There is always the potential that she didn’t leave the apartment alive. What is important for us to do is consider all the options,” he said.

 

(Editing by Gareth Jones)

To view the original CLICK HERE

Madeleine McCann: Police hunt sex attacker

Madeleine McCann disappeared in Portugal in 2007

UK police probing the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are seeking an intruder who sexually abused five girls in Portugal between 2004 and 2006.

Detectives say the attacks happened in holiday villas occupied by UK families in the Algarve.

The man, described as tanned with dark hair, is suspected of breaking in to 12 properties from 2004 to 2010.

Madeleine was three when she went missing from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Algarve, in May 2007.

The five girls – aged between seven and 10 – were sexually assaulted in their beds.

On one of these occasions, the man assaulted two girls in one villa.

‘Serious offences’

Det Ch Insp Andy Redwood said the man had an “unhealthy interest in young white female children” – and tracing him was a priority.

“We need to establish the identity of this man,” DCI Redwood said.

Burgundy top Two families said the intruder had worn a distinctive burgundy long-sleeved top

“These offences are very serious and no one has been charged in connection with them. We also need to eliminate this man from our enquiries and ascertain whether these offences are linked to Madeleine’s disappearance.”

Police said the man was bare-chested in some of the attacks, and some witnesses said he had a pot belly. Three victims said he had a “noticeable odour”.

Two of the families said the intruder had worn a distinctive burgundy long-sleeved top, and one family said the top had a white circle on the back.

The man was said to have spoken English slowly, with a foreign accent.

While not identical, many aspects of the sexual assaults were similar, police said.

In most of the cases, the intruder appeared in the early hours of the morning and there were no signs of forced entry to the properties.

The suspect may have been in the villa or looking around for some time before committing the offences or being disturbed, either by a parent coming in or the child waking up, officers said.

He remained calm even when disturbed, they added.

The incidents had previously been discounted by Portuguese investigators because they were spread over a wide geographical area and there had been no apparent attempts at abduction.

DCI Andy Redwood says he needs to hear from other families who may have been affected

Four of the 12 break-ins took place in Carvoeiro, two in Praia da Luz – where the McCanns had been staying – and six in Vale da Parra and Praia da Gale.

There are currently 38 people classed as “persons of interest” linked with the inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance.

“Start Quote

It is really critical for us to identify this offender and prove or disprove whether he was involved in Madeleine’s disappearance”

DCI Andy Redwood

Detectives are also sifting through details of 530 sex offenders whose whereabouts are unknown.

Of those, 59 are classed as a high priority, and some of those are British.

Police ‘frustration’

Scotland Yard launched a new investigation – codenamed Operation Grange – into Madeleine’s disappearance last July, two years into a review of the case, and made renewed appeals for information.

A high-profile campaign run by Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann, from Rothley, Leicestershire, and a Portuguese police investigation had so far failed to locate the missing child.

The search for Madeleine was given fresh impetus in October when a BBC Crimewatch appeal that aired in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands prompted 5,000 calls.

Kate and Gerry McCann Madeleine vanished from her family’s holiday home while parents Kate and Gerry McCann dined at a nearby restaurant

In January, British detectives flew to Portugal and spoke to local police officers there.

DCI Redwood said: “This is an offender who has got a very, very unhealthy interest in young, white, female children who he is attacking whilst they are on holiday in their beds.

“It is really critical for us to identify this offender and prove or disprove whether he was involved in Madeleine’s disappearance.”

Investigators in the UK have so far sent three international letters of request to Portuguese authorities over the inquiry in to Madeleine’s disappearance.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt said the slow legal process had caused “frustration”.

“We know what we want to do and we are ready to go with that. But the process is the process,” he said.

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for the McCann family, said: “Kate and Gerry still believe that Madeleine is alive and out there to be found, and that is why they are so pleased that the British police are doing such a good job on this.”

To view the original article CLICK HERE

Madeleine McCann police hunt Algarve holiday sex attacker who had ‘very unhealthy interest in young white girls’

The man broke into apartments owned by British families and sexually assaulted white girls aged between seven and 10, police say

New suspect: Police say the intruder was wearing this distinctive burgundy top on two occasions

A prowling paedophile preyed on little British girls as they slept in their beds in holiday villas – all within a 37-mile radius of where little Madeleine McCann disappeared.

The five vulnerable youngsters, aged seven to 10, were victims of sexual attacks between 2004 and 2006 carried out by a lone intruder known to the authorities.

Yet amazingly, despite the series of sickening assaults, it emerged that blundering Portuguese police ruled out the prolific pervert in the hunt for Madeleine.

The latest breakthrough in the case only came when Scotland Yard detectives connected the suspect with three incidents which were reported to them following a fresh appeal for information last year.

British detectives revealed today they are now focusing on the man who is suspected of 12 Algarve holiday homes break-ins between 2004 and 2010, including Praia da Luz, where three-year-old Madeleine went missing in 2007.

They described in chilling detail how the Algarve sex attacker would sit on the children’s beds or crawl under the covers with them, and stayed calm even when disturbed.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood said: “This man has a very unhealthy interest in young, white, female children who he is attacking whilst they are on holiday in their beds.

“In six of the 12 potentially linked offences the suspect either sat or lay on the bed, before committing the sexual assault in four of those cases.”


A total of nine out of 12 break-ins carried out by the
man were known to Portuguese investigators.
However, they considered the incidents too spread
out to be linked to Madeleine’s disappearance –
despite taking place around an hour’s car journey
away from Praia da Luz.

They also ruled out the suspect because there were no apparent attempts of abducting the young girls.

Three other British families later contacted the police following the televised appeal on the BBC’s Crimewatch show last October.

Two of the break-ins were in Praia da Luz, where Madeleine was staying with her family at the Ocean Club resort.

Six were in Valle de Parra whilst another four were in the resort of Carvoeiro, the two resorts where police say the more serious of the sexual assaults occurred.

The suspect is described as being tanned with dark-hair, smelling of cigarettes and aftershave, who spoke English slowly with a foreign accent.

He was sometimes bare chested, some described him as having a pot belly, and three victims said that he had a noticeable odour.

The police have been told by at least two of the families that bin-men and bin-lorries were in the street during the break-ins.

In some of the attacks he was wearing a distinctive burgundy, long-sleeved top, possibly with a white circle on the back.

In most cases there were no signs of forced entry to the properties, nothing was taken, and the intruder appeared in the early hours of the morning between 2am and 5am.

This increases suspicions that the reasons for the intruder’s break-ins was sexually motivated.

The suspect may have been in the properties or looking around the properties for some time before committing the offences or being disturbed either by a parent, or the child waking up.

Praia da Luz the apartment that Madeleine McCann was taken from
Scene: Praia da Luz apartment where Maddie was taken from

Critics of the Portuguese investigation claim their failures mean they missed a vital window of opportunity to find Madeleine.

Former Met Police DCI Peter Kirkham said: “Right from the very start, the Portuguese police should have been considering sexually-motivated abduction as a possibility.

“I find it quite extraordinary that potential links with this series of offences were not made previously.”

It comes three years after Kate McCann wrote in her book, called “Madeleine”, that a series of sex attacks on British youngsters was not properly investigated by the Portuguese authorities.

She said the crimes had been “brushed under the carpet”.

When asked during a press conference at Scotland Yard today if the suspect was the same person described in Kate’s book, Mr Redwood simply replied: “Yes.”

Mr Redwood added: “While I accept there are differences between the break-ins and the McCann case, there is no abduction that we can see, but the assumption from that is that Madeleine McCann has been abducted.

“That may not necessarily follow with all our thinking about what may have become of Madeleine. It is really critical for us to identify this offender and prove or disprove whether he was involved in her disappearance.”

Detectives working on Operation Grange – a review into the circumstances of Madeleine’s disappearance – are in possession of the DNA of the intruder following one of his attacks.

The Scotland Yard team currently have 38 people classed as “persons of interest”after ruling out 22 suspects from a list of 60.

They are also sifting through the details of 530 known sex offenders whose whereabouts they cannot account for on the day Madeleine went missing.

Mr Redwood’s team has previously appealed for help identifying a man who was seen carrying a child towards the sea on the night Madeleine vanished. So far they have not been able to eliminate the sighting of the man from their inquiry.

PAMadeleine McCann
Missing: Maddie

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt said he was frustrated at how slow the legal process has been in Portugal.

He added: “That’s causing us frustration because we know what we want to do and we are ready to go with that. But the process is the process.”

Asked how he was getting on with his Portuguese counterparts, Mr Redwood merely shook his head in despair and took another question at the packed press conference in London.

Another 30 letters asking for assistance with the inquiry have been written to other European countries, but the force would not reveal where.

Kate and Madeleine’s father Gerry believe “fervently” that their daughter is still alive and can be found, family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said today.

He added: “Kate and Gerry feel Scotland Yard’s new appeal will lead to the breakthrough that everybody wants.

“They are grateful to everyone who has come forward with information and are now urging anybody else who sees this new appeal and who feels something similar has happened to them in the Algarve to come forward.”

A senior Portuguese police source said officers from the Policia Judicial were said to be “furious” with the Met and said the three UK letters of request have mentioned nothing about the new suspect.

The senior officer said: “The Metropolitan police today, in a press conference, haven’t done anything but reveal the line of investigation discovered by the Portuguese team working on the review of the case, led by Helena Monteiro, which gave the basis to reopen the inquiry in Portugal.”

To view the original article CLICK HERE

Regards,

Greg_L-W.
.

Posted by: Greg Lance-Watkins

tel: 01594 – 528 337
number witheld calls are blocked & calls are recorded.
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
Summary, archive, facts & comments on UKIP: http://UKIP-vs-EUkip.com
DO MAKE USE of LINKS, >SEARCH< & >Side Bars< & The Top Bar >PAGES<
Also:
Details & Links:
http://GregLanceWatkins.com
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS:
CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share:
CLICK HERE

General ‘Stuff’ archive:
http://gl-w.blogspot.com

General ‘Stuff’ ongoing:
http://gl-w.com
Health Blog.:
http://GregLW.com
Skype: GregL-W

TWITTER: Greg_LW

.

Please Be Sure To .Follow Greg_LW on Twitter. Re-TWEET my Twitterings
& Publicise My Blogs
To Spread The Facts World Wide
of
OUR-ENEMY-WITHIN
&
To Leave-The-EU

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s